The Union for Progressive Judaism(UPJ) used its October 2008 biennial to announce the adoption of the newofficial siddur, a special World Union Edition of Mishkan T’filah, the new prayer book of the URJ, North America’s Reform movement. It introduced the prayer book to all affiliates during 2010, the UPJ’s 80th anniversary year.Since 1975, the region’s congregations had been using Gates of Prayer. We are very excited to now have a prayer book specifically designed by our Rabbinical Council for Australian Progressive congregations.
The World Union Edition of the long awaited and warmly received successor to Gates of Prayer, has been adapted in our region for the needs of our region. Designed and composed for compelling, meaningful and spiritual worship, Mishkan T’filah will become the authentic voice of Progressive Judaism for the twenty-first century.
- Services for Shabbat, Festivals, Daily and Home use with traditional feel, yet designed for creativity.
- A broad selection of readings including beloved passages from our Progressive liturgical tradition and great poetic writings from throughout Jewish history.
- Faithful, contemporary, gender-inclusive English.
- Fully transliterated on every page for inclusivity.
- Theological and stylistic diversity.
- Innovative design with location locator and page notes for educated choice
- Consulting Editor Rabbi David Stein, Plaut Chumash and New Women’s Chumash
We commenced using Mishkan T’filah in November 2010.
How you can contribute
Dedicating a congregational copy of Mishkan T’filah is a wonderful way to support our congregation and create an enduring reminder of a loved one or special occasion. Please contact us for details.
We can obtain a personal copy for you should you wish to buy one.
We also have protective covers for sale at $5 each.
Please contact the Secretary now to arrange a dedication, book purchase or if you wish to purchase a protective cover.
Please take a minute to explore the range of opportunities to help our congregation. These are listed under “BPJC Volunteers” in the sidebar to the left.
Any support you are able to give will be gratefully appreciated. Thank you.