Brisbane Progressive Jewish Congregation relies on the support of our members and also on the help of our volunteers. We welcome offers from interested / experienced persons to join our Volunteer Teams to assist with activities in the following areas:Services Team:
• Lay leaders – direct and run services
• Chazzanim – cantors who lead familiar and new service tunes
• Torah readers – read Hebrew from our Torah scroll
• Gabbaim – organise key honours and assist the Torah reader
• Shammashim – welcome congregants and visitors and assist in preparing the sanctuary
• Drashot presenters – prepare and deliver relevant sermons.
• Cheder Teachers and Assistants – guide and develop Jewish learning
• Bar / Bat Mitzvah tuition – prepare young people for their Bar / Bat Mitzvah
• Youth activities – support post-Bar / Bat Mitzvah young people in continuing their Jewish learning and commitment
• Adult learning – develop and deliver interesting and informative presentations.
• Organisers and assistants – plan and manage congregational functions usually associated with Festivals celebrations
• Caterers – prepare and provide food and drink for special congregational functions.
• Website designers and maintainers – ensure our website stays current and attractive
• Newsletter editors – prepare and publish congregation and community news to members and supporters
• Librarian / historian – catalogue books and reference holdings and record congregational events
• Membership and Outreach – attract and welcome new members and keep in touch with those in more distant locations.
• Life-cycle supporters – be a point of contact for families requiring congregational assistance for special family events such as Britot, baby naming, Bar / Bat Mitzvahs and weddings
• Visitors – visit the sick and keep in touch with them
• Advisors – offer confidential advice and guidance to those in need
• Funerals – assist in comforting the bereaved and in supporting Jewish ritual requirements before and after a funeral.
Please contact our Secretary if you are able to assist us with any of the above activities. We are so grateful for the work that all our Volunteers do – an extra pair of hands will lighten the load.